Back

Technology MMobile Anti-counterfeiting Authentication Service (MAAS)
Sproxil
Protection strategy Product identification
Type Traceability technology/td>
System Mobile System
Medium Packaging
Authentication/Identificaton Identification
Traceability Yes
Cost 0.1 à 0.3 cents d’Euros
Required equipment Mobile phone
Vertification level User
N.B. Not a real authentication process: a serial number on a scratch label can be copied and the verified product
could be the first one of a group of counterfeits, only a limited number of patients are verifying their medicines (10%) leaving 90% of serial number free for the counterfeiters.
Brand owners can send targeted offers to their Users.
Sproxil: Ghana, Nigeria, East Africa (Kenya, Tanzania)
Hakikisha Dawa: Kenya
Description A scratch label is added to the packaging (ideally the primary pack), the user scratch the label revealing the serial number. Then the user send a text with the serial to a specific number indicated on the label, the serial is verified in a database. An instant reply indicate if the product is “genuine” or “fake”.
Strengths User verifiable;
Traceability;
Low cost;
Possibility for the company to detect “hot spot”: geo-location of counterfeit products from a text send with a fake PIN;
Limitations May give false assurance;
Easily mimicked (the counterfeiter could randomly produce a real serial number, the product will be identified as genuine if the serial number is send before the real product or if the serial number of the genuine product is not verified);
Not anonymous;
Cost (need to collaborate with every Telco of the country);
Cannot be verified by other stakeholders of the supply chain (serial can only be send one time);
Packaging can be refilled: needs to be combined with other authentication system or tamper evidence;
Links:

Back