Summary Judgement

This civil remedy is used when an action cannot be settled by agreement. In certain circumstances it is possible to apply to the court for summary judgement. To obtain such a judgement a plaintiff must satisfy the court that there is no defence to the action and that he is entitled to get immediate judgement. This type of application can be made at any time after the writ and statement of claim have been served on the defendant and the defendant has indicated it will defend the action.

With this procedure a plaintiff can obtain prompt relief and avoid delaying tactics, which may be used by the defendant to prolong the action.

Back to previous