On February 12, 2015, the Food and Drug Administration of the Philippines announced that the Klaricid Clarithromycin 250 mg / 5ml Granules, No. L7877, is a counterfeit version of a fruit punch-flavored antibiotic marketed by the laboratory Abbott in its original version. This is a paediatric drug.
Several dissimilarities appeared on the drug packaging:
– A reference with 5 characters on the counterfeit version (L7877), while the original version contains only 4 characters (L207).
– The orginal version is manufactured in Indonesia and not in Quebec as indicated in the fake version.
– The name of the laboratory is poorly worded: Abbot instead of Abbott.
– The packaging is 60 ml in the counterfeit version, while it is 25, 50 or 70 ml in the original one.
– The colors are also different: pink in the counterfeit version ; and orange, yellow and blue in the original version.
All patients are advised not to use this product.Back to previous